Checklist of Gas Safety Certificate to Landlords and Tenants in 2023

A image of Gas Safety Certificate

Gas Safety Certificate, once you are a landlord and lease out your home, you are accountable for the safety of your tenants while they live in and using the property. This means that all amenities you provide be secure. If you are currently living in a non-rented home or is owned by you or your family members and friends, family then you’re likely to not have an official gas safety certificate for the gas appliances you use. It is your responsibility to ensure that the gas appliances you are using are secure. The legislation that regulates the gas use in rental homes can be found in the Gas Safety Act of 1998. The regulations define the responsibilities of landlords in ensuring that gas chimneys, appliances, fittings and flues for tenants are properly installed and maintained in good in good working order, Gas Safety Certificate.

In the beginning, ensuring that your rental property is in compliance with the law might be time-consuming and expensive at first however, it is easier once you have knowledge and experience. It is crucial to keep in mind why these rules are needed to begin with. Accidents do happen, but they can be usually avoided when we’re responsible and take care of our own as well as our surroundings.

As tenants, it’s impossible to examine every single aspect of the rental property to make sure that everything is safely installed and in good working condition (unless the property is occupied by a registered gas safe engineer, in which case this article is not necessary!). Therefore, it is dangerous and reckless to enter into a contract for living in a place you can’t be certain that it is safe. However that when you purchase an apartment, in addition to the advantages and freedoms of being the new owner, you’re taking the responsibility for your own.  In the event that you acquire appliances in your new residence, verify that they’ve been installed and tested according to the regulations for gas safety. If not, think about purchasing new appliances. In this article we’ve given a brief overview of the paperwork you will need to submit in the event that you lease out a house that has a gas appliance, and the reasons you should complete the process.

Gas safety checks – who requires them?

In order to rent out your home legally, landlords must get a gas safety certification. To ensure they are in compliance with regulations, they should make sure that all gas appliances that are portable or permanent and gas flues they have and are available for tenants are subject to regular gas safety inspections. When they have completed these checks that they will receive the gas safety certification (providing that all appliances have passed). Landlords are legally bound to schedule these safety inspections each year, and they can be conducted by any registered gas safe engineer. Property managers typically, but not always, use their own plumber. You can determine if the plumber is a Gas Safe registered engineer by visiting the register of gas safety site. When you arrange for your home to be inspected, you also must confirm that they’re qualified to work in this particular area of gas. This information will be prominently displayed on the reverse of the Gas Safe Register registration card and in the Gas Safe Register website, Gas Safety Certificate.

As a landlord, you must provide a current gas security certificate your current tenant within 28 days after the date of gas safety certificate having been completed, and to prospective tenants prior to their move. Your tenants can receive with a copy of the gas safety record electronically, provided they’re happy with it and have the ability to access the record. You should offer them an actual copy in case they ask for it.

Safety checks for gas are required to:


Housing associations

Local authorities

Hotels and B&Bs


Boarding schools


It is also important to ensure that appliances for gas are set up (as as well as checked) by a Gas Safe registered engineer. It isn’t acceptable to allow to allow a Gas Safe registered engineer to sign off gas work performed by an engineer who is not registered. Each registered or non-registered installers could be prosecuted.

Gas safety tests – why do need them?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless in taste, odorless and poisonous gas. It is generated by incomplete combustion of carbon-based fossil fuels like wood, oil, gas and coal. In residential homes, examples include central heating boilers as well as gas hobs for cooking. Once it is in your body CO blocks blood vessels from carrying oxygen to tissues, cells and organs. Based on Health and Safety Executive statistics approximately 7 people die of CO poisoning each year. This is the reason it is crucial to ensure that the safety of gas appliances installed, maintained and used. In extreme instances of prolonged exposure, brain damage and paralysis could result. The non-fatal effects of exposure to CO can cause severe damage to your health when breathed for a prolonged period. CO-based energy sources are safe for use. It’s only when the fuel doesn’t burn correctly that excessive CO is released and is toxic.

Carbon Monoxide – what to be looking for?

If your appliances have been legally inspected by certified engineers, there’s no reason why either you or your tenants could have a gas leak on your residence. It can however be beneficial to both you and your tenants to be aware of what to look for. The following signs indicate (but cannot assure) that combustion is not complete (which could lead to CO production) occurs:

Gas smells even when you’re not using appliances:

A flame of orange or yellow in your boiler. The flame is usually blue (this is not the case for the effect of fuel on fires or appliances that display this color flame)

Yellow/brown or soot staining on appliances

Pilot light bulbs that can are blown out

Excessive condensation inside windows

For more information or to examine the laws, go to this site. Gas Safe Register website:

Renting property located in South West London has been our main focus at James Anderson for nearly 30 years and with the right reason. The homes south of the river are a peaceful and comfortable setting and easy access for central London. Find the perfect property that you can rent out in South West London – come and visit the longest-running independently owned estate agent in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *